Tuesday, August 25, 2009

So, Uhm, Like... Lauren Conrad's Book... My Pre-Review of L.A. Candy

Two weeks ago I wrapped up reading the final book in the Twilight series. I wanted to cry, I was so deliciously addicted. I love reading, and knew that I needed something new to indulge in. Sadly I knew nothing would please me quite like the vampire saga did. While browsing, my boyfriend, of all people, handed me a hardcover book with Lauren Conrad's face plastered on the cover:L.A. Candy.

Although I did not think I could dumb down my brain after reading Twilight, I went ahead and bought the book.

I found the book to start of really bland. We meet Jane and her roommate Scarlett who recently moved to Los Angeles for school.

It took me a few chapters to realize that Jane was actually some sort of alter ego of Lauren herself. Jane works as an intern for an event planner, while Scarlett...err Scarlett goes to school.

Nearly immediately the girls are spotted at some bar scene, where a man named Trevor offers them a reality show. He hands them his card, and wallah, the girls become reality stars.

They were not the only ones who were in this show though. Trevor hired 2 other girls as well, Gaby and Madison. It becomes quickly clear that reality is sometimes not 'reality' in reality TV. Jane and Scarlett have to pretend they are friends with these random girls. Jane falls into it, and tries to be friends with them, Scarlett on the other hand is not having it.

Anyhow, as the book rambles on, we see love unfold, lies told, and realities hidden. It's basically an everyday episode of The Hills, or Laguna Beach, only with a much more wicked and vengeful twist, which we meet at the end.

Now although I found the ending of the book to be deliciously fitting, and pretty damn good, the majority of the book consisted of a lot of annoying content that just seemed to fluff out the actual point to make the book thicker.

Then we had the issue of her characters. The books chapters would jump from Jane's point of view, to Scarlett's, to Madison's, to some Gossip reporter, to Trevor. It made it hard to make a real connection with any of the characters.

Jane was supposed to be the main character, at least it's what it was attempting, but honestly with all the jumping around, it made it impossible to care about what happened to her, or any of the other characters for that matter.

Overall though, I must say the book was suiting to Conrad's lifestyle. It was a quick read, and had an ending I was not expecting at all, which is pretty damn neat, especially considering how bad I thought it would all end. I thought I'd end up slamming the book against a wall when I finished, but I was pleasantly surprised for the big bang at the end.

L.A. Candy is book 1 in a series, however I think the book ended just where it needed to end, and there is honestly no need for any type of follow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment