Monday, June 22, 2009

Is The Sims 3 Growing Boring Already?

-My article also seen on AC. It is approximately 20 days since The Sims 3 hit shelves, and fans of the game lined up to snag a copy before they sold out.

I was one of the fortunate ones who pre-ordered the game at Gamestop, and got my game in hand on the day of the release. The rumor is, that there are still people waiting for their pre-releases, which is just ridiculous.

At any rate, it's been 20 days, and I must say the first week of gaming was a heck of a lot of fun. I learned the new controls, got an understanding on how to roam, build, and run the lives of my Sims.

20 days later though, and I must say I'm getting kind of bored. The reason for this is the lack of objects, and things for my Sims to do in the community. I can only collect bugs, fish, and rocks in the same places day after day, till finally it loses its charm.

Same goes for the building of things. With a limited amount of trees, shrubs, and flowers, my environment looks all relatively the same except for a few color and fabric changes.

Yes my Sims have the option to fill their inventory with a guitar, a book, a baseball, or a football for outside community activities, but seriously that's all I have to work with. The game still does not allow us to swim in lakes or oceans which is just stupid, and weather changes makes my sun shiny world lack change.

Although I enjoy gaining a skill point by looking through a telescope, or by reading a book, cooking, or working out, once my skills are maxed what is left?

I understand the new game is packed with all sorts of new things. My Sims are smarter. That's great, but what the heck can these smart Sims do besides roam around making simmish conversations with other Sims and improving skills.

20 days in, and already my game is beginning to feel like a repetitive routine. I wanted more. I admit we got more as far as graphics, a live town, and improved Sims AI intelligence, but besides that, it feels like we have been limited everywhere else.

The Sims, besides being a game, was also considered one of the best games as far as building and customizing goes. Right now though, it feels like all of that has been taken away and we are left with ugly hair, skin, clothing, and a huge lack in accessories and makeup. Don't even get me started on the bland selection of objects and furniture.

As of now, I will leave the game as is, and pick it back up again once they release an expansion pack. This is huge considering I was once a giant fan of The Sims. Normally I'd play my game daily without ever growing sick and tired of it. I think a lot of that had to do with customized downloads. As of now EA has such a tiny selection, and there are no free object downloads as of yet for the game, besides user made homes and color assorted clothing (no new meshes).

All I know, from my standpoint, is that EA better hurry up on the expansion pack, because gamers are likely to skip out on it all together if things don't start coming fast, and looking well.

Ways to earn Store Sim Points would also be nice.

One thing that I think EA should really work on would be to treat The Sims 3 the same way that Nintendo treats the Animal Crossing game. I feel that EA should have special holiday events in town that occur freely like they did in Animal Crossing. EA could also send packages to our Sims once in awhile, packages that contain special items, or clothing. These things should freely upload into my Sims mailbox; an Internet connection of course would be required.

I will be very angry if EA releases a crap holiday pack, when something like this should have been built in to occur naturally. It is annoying having to add holiday lights to homes, or picking the light up holiday trees to add to yards, when things like this could happen on their own without the need to buy and decorate the town.

Seasons should be matched up to actual seasons we have here in the real world. On Animal Crossing, if the game was set up to wifi, if it was raining in my real life town, it would also rain in my game. Sweet specials like this are crucial is The Sims plans to survive for a round 4.

Such simplistic and charming additions like this would thrill gamers beyond belief and it would have them coming back to the game daily to check out special events.

I have a hunch all of this potential will go ignored.

At any rate, a lot really needs to be added to the game in order for it to hold my interest, and I am sure many, many others feel the same way. Hear us EA, we are getting bored, deliver the goods.

No comments:

Post a Comment