Friday, July 31, 2009

Coke Rewards Officially Sucks Now...

I work behind a desk, behind a computer for nearly 300 days out of the year. Everyday on my way in to work, I would stop off at a local 711, pick up a cup of coffee, and a bottle of Coca-Cola.

Normally I would just stop in for the coffee, but due to the fact that I had time to kill on my lunch break I figured I would start slowly accumulating points on www.mycokerewards.com.

Back in 2006 when I first started collecting the reward points, I hoped to one day have enough to earn the big ticket items, like consoles, HDTVs, computers, and a slew of other really enticing rewards, like vacations, hotel stays, and much more.

The rewards were very appealing, so much so that I began buying strictly coke products just to add 3 measly points to my account every day. I knew it would probably take 3 years to get anything worth wild, but hey, I am a patient person. I can wait it out.

However I noticed something grossly disturbing taking place in 2007. Coke began removing these spectacular rewards in place of 'prizes'. That's right, instead of accumulating points for a guaranteed reward, they now wanted you to donate your points into a raffle.

It sucked, because I knew I had a better chance of getting struck by lightning than winning a $5,000 dream home entertainment system.

It was not so bad yet though, because back in 2008 there were still a few items that I thought were worthy of continuing my saving up in points. I figured they removed some of the bigger items because people likely cashed in for them... and now they would restock the inventory with a slew of newer, bigger, better things.... only the newer, bigger, better things never came.

Long gone were the days of hoping to acquire enough points for a sweet HDTV, or a sweet 3 day vacation. Long gone were those days.

In 2009 all of those rewards that caused people to continue to add up their points were gone. Replaced by insulting pitiful poor excuses for rewards.

Let us take a look at an example.

The highest point items ask for 2,000 points. They include $50 gift cards to Nike, and a 1 day vehicle rental from AVIS.

It seems to me that as soon as Coke sniffed out too many people gaining points towards their HDTV goals, they removed all of the good stuff, and replaced them with insulting rewards.

Now I don't give a damn about you people who come across this and call me a whiny baby... seriously, go troll in some other forum or blog- I could give a damn what you think of me.

This is written for all of you, who like me, saved your stinkin coke points for YEARS, only to realize that all of the reasons you began saving those points in the first place, are now gone.

Let us take a close look at how this all works out.

2,000 points for a $50.00 Nike Gift Card
1 bottle of coke= 3 points.

Bottle of cokes one needs to drink in order to acquire 2,000 points = 666.6666666 (yikes!)

Price on 666 bottles of coke at around $1.59 per bottle = $1,058.94 give or take a few cents. So price to value... equals = SUCKERS!!!!

Now lets not even talk about horrendous navigating the site is. They improved the site, but it took them years....still though it is slow loading, and horrendous on the eyes.

However you won't navigate too much, especially after you see the rewards, and the ridiculous amount of points needed for these rewards.

Coca-Cola... seriously, give us back our decent rewards, and keep the point ratio to value of products fair!

At coke reward rates, you are better off just buying the items, instead of paying triple, or more their value.

A 1 Day Avis Car rental using coke reward points will in the long run cost you $1000+

A 1 Week Car Rental From Avis starts at around $220 a week.

Wow!!! But alas friends, you at least can say you got to drink 666 bottles of coke to get that one day rental! Hah! I'm laughing so hard, I left skid marks in my pants.

4 comments:

  1. I AM WITH YOU 100%.

    FOR THE PEOPLE AT COCACOLA:IF YOU HAD ENOUGH BRAINS YOU WOULD REALIZE THAT SATISFYING PEOPLE IS THE NAME OF THE GAME IN BUSINESS. ON THE MY COKE REWARDS THING YOU GUYS NEED TO SET IT RIGHT OR YOU WILL BE LOSING A LOT OF DEDICATED COKE DRINKERS.

    TO THE EXECUTIVES AT COCACOLA YOU BETTER WATCH OUT AND GET THE IDIOTS THAT ARE RUNNING YOUR MY COKE REWARDS TO GET IT RIGHT CAUSE THEY ARE DOING GREAT DAMAGE TO THE IMAGE IT TOOK YOU A LOT HARD WORK TO DEVELOP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tell me about it, at this rate it is an absolute insult to all of the people who strictly drank coke just for the damn points. I also want to add that they also placed a daily limit of how many points you can gain. lol. Its a joke, the reward system is a joke.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with you - the prizes suck suck suck

    ReplyDelete
  4. once the coke site goes down i will no longer drink coke products. c.e.o. of coke watch the fuck out.

    ReplyDelete